Monday, May 10, 2010

Manila Miracle



It's been a while since we arrived home from Manila on the 2nd of April. Grant went back a week later because a big group of patients were coming from the island of Mendoro. They were to be operated on that week in the Cranio Facial Clinic that is owned by Deseret International Foundation. The building is a mini hospital that has the dental clinic that Grant built out when we arrived here. The building has really not been utalized and was just being used on Fridays for about 1/2 day. Grant was totally amazed when he went back. They had the two operatories ready to go with a/c no less. The third floor rooms were ready for patients to spend the night after their surgeries. It was like night and day to what had been going on there. We are calling it a miracle. They did 27 cleft patients that week and I think 7 or 8 more the next week. Grant came home tired but very happy with how things were going there. He is now getting ready to go back on the 21st for another two weeks. I have had to stay home because of health problems. I have what my doctor is calling COPD caused by my RA. I need to be on oxygen full time and we are in the process of figuring out how to treat my symptoms. I feel good but get tired so have to take it easy. I am hoping that I can get back to Manila some day because I am missing it. But it is good to be home with my family and I know that is were I need to be right now. So our plan is for Grant to continue to go back and forth for two week periods and do the surgeries. I hope to go back this fall or winter to enjoy that great weather again.

No comments:

Post a Comment